I was filling up my shopping cart with cans of pumpkin and spontaneously broke out in song (to the embarassment of my 10-year-old daughter): 99 cans of pumpkin in the pantry, 99 cans of pumpkin. Open one up, it measures two cups; 98 cans of pumpkin in the pantry …
There were no other shoppers within earshot, but as we continued through the store the stares seemed to whisper, “What in the world I was going to do with all these cans of pumpkin?” Sometimes I whispered back.
Of course, I didn’t buy 99 cans in one visit, nor could I ever have 99 cans in the pantry at one time. My husband would think I was out of my gourd. To prevent a pumpkin intervention I keep a few cans of orange goodness in the pantry ready for use (and a back-up supply hidden in places that no one would seek: the cabinet that held the cleaning supplies, for example.)
I’ve mentioned my competitive streak before; this includes self-imposed competitions. Wouldn’t it be fun to see if I could use up 99 cans of pumpkin? (Fun comes in different forms.) I’ve altered the rules a little – sometimes I”ll use fresh pumpkin or squash instead of canned. It’ll help hide any suspicions of pumpkin obsession since my husband would notice the cans in the recycling bin …
With the recipes already created, I’ve sung about cans number 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, 93 and 92. I’ve got my singing cut out for me.
November 19: Cans 91, 90, 89 and 88 crossed off the list. I sent a batch of Pumpkin Cheesecakes down to my parents. (My mother is hiding the recipe from my father; this could help me use up more cans…)
November 24: Of course cans are being used for Thanksgiving. #87, 86, 85 and 84 are off the shelf. More of the Pumpkin Cheesecakes, Butternut Squash Soup, and Pumpkin Creme Brulee.
November 25: Thanksgiving was hosted at my sister-in-law’s house, which means that we came home with minimal leftovers. What to make with the leftover turkey? Pasta with pumpkin sauce. Can # 83 emptied. Should have eaten this for lunch; the carbo loading would have helped Black Friday Shopping.
November 26: Pumpkin burgers? I’m open-minded. I love beef and it’s only in recent history that I’ve dabbled in veggie burgers. Can #82 emptied.
November 27: Since we didn’t host Thanksgiving, I needed to have the smell of roasting turkey wafting through the house while we began our Christmas decorating. My menu didn’t include pumpkin, or squash, but I couldn’t help myself. I opened up can #81 and made some pumpkin-mashed potatoes. I’ll talk more about the Thanksgiving Do-Over meal in another post.
November 28: The pumpkin-mashed potatoes reminded me of a pumpkin gratin recipe I came across, so can #80 is off the list.
December 4: Now that the post-Thanksgiving coma is over, it’s time to get cooking again. Pumpkin ice cream!
January 5: New year, new pumpkin recipes. Tonight featured pumpkin pizza and can #78.
January 7: Can #77 goes to S’more Pumpkin Mini-Muffins.
January 23: Happy Lunar New Year and Pumpkin Wontons
- Can #99 – Pumpkin Hummus
- Can #98 – Pumpkin Panna Cotta
- Can #97 – Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Pumpkin Frosting
- Can #96 – Smashing Pumpkintini
- Can #95 – Spiced Rum’kin
- Can #94 – Pork and Pumpkin Not-So-Chilly Chili
- Can #93 – What-to-do-with-leftover-Halloween-candy Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Can #92 – What-to-do-with-leftover-Halloween-candy Pumpkin Cheesecake (this time with a chocolate base and a bit of cayenne)
- Cans #91, 90 – more What-to-do-with-leftover-Halloween-candy Pumpkin Cheesecake (chocolate base)
- Can #89 – Another batch of Smashing Pumpkintini (hey, it’s Friday)
- Can #88 – Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes
- Can #87 & 86 – Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Ricotta Apple Rosemary Garnish
- Can #85 – more What-to-do-with-leftover-Halloween-candy Pumpkin Cheesecake (chocolate base)
- Can #84 – Pumpkin Crème Brûlée
- Can #83 – Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Can #82 – Southwestern Pumpkin Burgers
- Can #81 – Pumpkin mashed potatoes – no recipe to link to; simply add pumpkin puree to your mashed potatoes.
- Can #80 – Pumpkin Gratin with Crispy Parmesan Rosemary
- Cans #79 and #80 – Pumpkin Ice Cream!
- Can #78- Pumpkin Pizza
- Can #77 – S’more Pumpkin Mini-Muffins
- Can #76 – Pumpkin Wontons
- Can #75 – Pumpkin Black Bean Casserole