Adapted from cupcakeproject.com
What better way to celebrate my birthday than with a cupcake that can easily segue into my name? Tiramisu is my favorite go-to dessert. Traditional tiramisu recipes call for Marsala wine and a zabaglione filling. I’m not always traditional. Espresso and unsweetened cocoa balance the sweetness of the mascarpone filling and frosting.
Incorporating the Amaretto into the batter is a stroke of genius. These cupcakes are super moist and according to my 11 year old “the best cupcakes you’ve ever made!”
Happy birthday to me!
- 1 box sugar-free vanilla cake mix
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ c egg substitute
- 1/3 c oil
- ¼ c Greek fat-free yogurt
- ½ c milk
- ¾ c sour cream
- 2 tsp almond extract
- ½ c brewed espresso (divided), cooled
- ¼ c Amaretto, Kahlua or rum,
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1 tbs brewed espresso
- ¼ c powdered sugar
- ¼ c stevia
- 8 oz mascarpone
- ½ c sugar
- ½ c stevia
- 1 tsp Amaretto, rum, Kahlua or almond vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl whisk egg whites, egg, oil, yogurt, sour cream and almond extract
- Stir cake mix into wet ingredients.
- Using half of the batter, fill cupcake liners about 1/3 full.
- Add coffee and Amaretto to remaining cake batter
- Mix, adding flour, 1 tsp at a time, if the batter is too moist or add milk if too dry.
- Add coffee-mixture batter to on top of each filled liner to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and whisk until well incorporated.
- Using whisk attachment on electric mixer beat mascarpone and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add Amaretto.
- Slowly add in heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut a small piece of cake out the top of cooled cupcakes.
- Spoon in filling.
- Pipe frosting over cupcake top.
- Dust with cocoa powder.
- Use chocolate curls.
- Use a mix of cocoa powder with espresso.
- Top with chocolate-covered espresso bean.