I’d never really heard of farro before. Or at least I didn’t pay it much attention. I’m sure I’ve seen it on menus in the regions of Italy I’ve visited. Thanks to my BeachBody detox, I’ve been reintroduced to this amazing grain. I finished week 3 of the detox and have begun reintroducing grains to my diet. I’ve bought bags of various grains to avoid boredom. One of those bags was farro.
Farro has been around for thousands of years. It’s rich in fiber, magnesium and vitamins. The gluten level is barely existent so it’s easily digestible. It tastes similar to brown rice, but it’s lighter. Farro is creamier than some of the other grains I’m experimenting with. Risotto comes immediately to mind, but I’m continuing the vegan diet for a few more weeks. I might try to make arancini (Italian rice ball) with it, too.
I had asparagus waiting to be roasted. Combined with cherry tomatoes and shallots I made a dinner and lunch portion of salad. This recipe would have made 4 side dishes.
- ½ c farro
- ¼ c Devo Olive Oil Tuscan Herb EVOO
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 shallots
- ½ tbs fresh rosemary
- Freshly ground seal salt and pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Prepare baking sheet.
- Trim and cut asparagus into 1” pieces.
- Halve tomatoes.
- Peel and cut shallots into 6 pieces.
- In bowl combine oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add prepared vegetables.
- Toss to coat.
- Place vegetables on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Combine faro and vegetables in mixing bowl.