It’s National Cupcake Week. In England. According to its Facebook group, National Cupcake Week is organized by British Baker magazine to “celebrate the nation’s fanaticism with this glorious sweet bakery product.”
We speak the same language, cupcakes. That and English too. To start the week of sweets, I made gluten-free apple cupcakes, filled with apple pie mascarpone and topped with caramel ganache. I picked up some apple pie jam and apple butter from my local farmers market. Forget vegan this week; I need my mascarpone fix. These were pretty good for gluten free. A tofu-based filling would have benen okay. It would be super easy to modify a boxed mix too (gluten-free or not).
Apple Cupcakes with Apple Pie Mascarpone and Caramel Ganache
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 c cane sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fleur de sel (French sea salt)
- 1/2 c EVOO
- 1/2 c of apple butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 c mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 c apple pie jam* (I bought this at my local farmers market. To substitute make a small batch of apple pie filling, or *eeks* use store bought. Adjust flavors with cinnamon and sugar as needed.)
- 1 c cream
- 6 oz white chocolate chips
- 10 caramels, chopped (I used caramel beurre sale – salted butter caramels from France)
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners. (either 12 large or 24 mini)
- In large mixing bowl, whisk sugar, flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk oil, apple butter, vanilla and eggs.
- Add wet mixture to dry, stirring to combine.
- Add shredded apple.
- Divide cupcake batter evenly.
- Bake 20-23 minutes (for large, 10-13 for mini)
- In small bowl, mix mascarpone and apple pie jam.
- Hollow center of each cupcake and fill with mascarpone mixture. (I use a strawberry huller for mini-cupcakes)
- Replace hollowed-cupcake pieces.
- In double boiler bring cream to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and caramels.
- Rest mixture for 5 minutes.
- Whisk mixture until smooth.
- Sprinkle in some additional fleur de sel to taste.
- Drizzle caramel over top of cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate until set.