Hmmm. After making béchamel sauce for Croque Monsieurs the other night I wondered if I could make a gravy-type sauce, without roasting a turkey. I made some savory pumpkin quinoa patties that needed something. The patties were made with rosemary jack cheese and Devo Olive Oil’s Wild Mushroom and Sage EVOO. They screamed gravy. I used one of Devo’s dark balsamics to give it color and additional taste. I’m eagerly waiting for the maple balsamic to arrive, so I debated between fig and cinnamon & pear. I went with the cinnamon & pear.
As with béchamel, I started adding milk to the roux. I stopped after about 1/2 c and decided to add vegetable broth instead. Next time I can make it vegan and gluten free.
What you need:
- 1 tbs Devo Olive Oil Wild Mushroom and Sage EVOO
- 1 tbs Devo Olive Oil Butter EVOO
- 1 tbs Devo Olive Oil Cinnamon & Pear Balsamic
- 2 tbs flour (use gluten free if you’d like)
- 2 1/2 -3 c vegetable broth (sub 1 c broth with 1 c milk, if you like; the final qty of liquid will depend on your desired thickness)
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tbs rosemary (mine was dried from my garden)
- Freshly ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
What you do:
- Heat oils, balsamic and herbs in saucepan over med heat.
- Whisk in flour until thick paste is formed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth slowly, 1 c at a time, and whisk while cooking.
- Continue to add broth and whisk until desired consistency is reached.