I fell in love with watermelon radish last year while visiting the Santa Monica Farmers Market. I was thrilled when I found it at my local farmer’s market this past week.
Watermelon and radish? I assure you it’s a radish that does not taste like watermelon. It’s green on the outside and pink on the inside, much like watermelon. It adds gorgeous color to salads, and it’s a bit sweeter and milder than the standard radish. It’s a root vegetable, so maybe I’ll try a roasted version or mashed, like a purple turnip. For now, it’s simply delicious in my salad.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Williams Sonoma. I wanted a bit more of a kick so I’ve used Devo Olive Oil’s Jalapeno Balsamic and Chipotle EVOO. Substitute with white vinegar and EVOO.
Watermelon Radish Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 1 1/2 tbs Devo Olive Oil Jalapeno Balsamic (sub with white wine vinegar)
- 1 avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted and diced
- 1/4 c Devo Olive Oil Chipotle EVOO (sub with extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, dark outer leaves cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
What you do:
- In sm bowl, stir shallot, lemon juice, balsamic and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk in the olive oil to make a vinaigrette.
- Gently stir in the avocado, season with salt and let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, radish and cilantro.
- Stir in the vinaigrette and drizzle over the salad.
- Toss gently and season with salt and more lemon juice, if needed.
- Transfer salad to individual plates and serve immediately.