Happy-anything-that-relates-to-food day. Naturally it’s my duty to observe such special days. And being a bit of a francophile and lover of leeks, I’m happy to oblige.
I took some liberty with the traditional soup. I added some roasted watermelon radish. To keep it vegan, don’t add the crème fraîche.
Prepare the radishes in advance to save time. Peel, trim and chop the radish into 1” chunks. Place on foil covered baking sheet. Brush with evoo and season with salt and pepper. Roast in 400° oven for 45-50 minutes, just until tender.
What you need:
- 2 c diced raw baby red potatoes (about 16)
- 3 leeks (white and light green only), cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 watermelon radish, roasted and chopped into chunks.
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 4 tbs butter
- Freshly ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c crème fraîche
- 1/4 c chopped chives
What you do:
- Set crockpot on high.
- Melt butter in crockpot.
- Add leeks and let cook for about 5 min.
- Add potatoes, shallots, radish and broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 hours.
- When ready, use immersion blender to puree.
- Pour into serving bowls.
- Top with a dollop of crème fraîche and sprinkle with chives.
*While vichyssoise is typically served cold, I serve it heated during cold weather.