Oh my darling. Oh my darling. Oh my darling Clementine. A spin on limoncello, this recipe calls for, you guessed it, clementines. When I last made limoncello, I let the lemon peel step in vodka for a few days before adding the simple syrup. I switched it up a bit here.
You don’t need to use the best vodka (like Stoli, Grey Goose or Belvedere) find a good middle-of-the-road brand. I used Sobieski from Poland; it was on sale so I stocked up. It had a 90 rating and reviews compared it with good, better-known brands. Crappy vodka will give you crappy liqueur.
What you need:
- 10 clementines
- 1 750 ml bottle of vodka
- 2 c sugar
- 2 c water
What you do:
- Zest clementines, careful to avoid the white pithy layer.
- Thinly slice clementines and cut outer edge and discard (the pith).
- In med saucepan bring water, sugar and zest to boil.
- Place clementine slices in large sealable glass container.
- Pour simple syrup and vodka over slices.
- Allow to sit in dark, cool place for at least 1 week.
- Pour through mesh sieve to discard.
- Pour into serving bottle(s).