Another blizzard-like day = must have comfort food. New Englanders – it was a small squall that was expected to last a few hours. Milk and bread would be available on Monday. Why do people go nuts? We avoided the grocery store once we saw how crazy the parking lot was.
The wind caused “temporary” white-out conditions but that didn’t keep us from heading to the farmers market for fresh produce, cheese, eggs and milk. It was hard to walk by the meat farmer … but we decided on a meat-free meal to warm our souls.
With rosemary jack cheese, eggs, buttermilk and scallions as my “Chopped” basket ingredients (a la Food Network), what would I make to accomplish the task? Scouring freezer, frig and pantry I decided on corn pudding. Hubby likes to cook a package of bacon every Sunday morning, for easy weekday sandwich building. I snagged some of the bacon for this.
I think the recipe would have fed at least four adults for dinner, if it was the only thing served. (I added salad). There was barely enough for breakfast leftovers after two adults ravaged the pot. I was so disappointed not to be able to feed my soul for a few days from this meal.
Slow Cooked Jalapeno Corn and Bacon Bread Pudding
You will see bits of red in the dish; there was a small red hot pepper mixed in with our supply of jalapenos. I’m not sure what it was. We usually have mini-corn bread loaves for every day snacking – I used 3 to get 2 c cubed.
What you need:
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 tbs Devo Olive Oil Harrisa EVOO
- cooking spray
- 3/4 c heavy cream
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 1 c rosemary jack shredded cheese (sub with cheddar, Swiss, Gruyere, etc)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 c frozen corn kernels
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 c cubed corn bread
What you do:
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Prepare baking sheet with foil.
- Place peppers on sheet and drizzle with EVOO.
- Cook 10-12 min, or until charred, turning halfway.
- Remove peppers from oven, allow to cool about 15 min.
- Remove stems from peppers, peel, and slice in half vertically.
- Carefully remove seeds and discard.
- Chop peppers and set aside.
- Coat inside of cooker with cooking spray.
- In lg bowl add cream, buttermilk, eggs, cornmeal and cheese.
- Mix well.
- Add bacon, onion, corn and peppers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Gently mix in corn bread.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
- If you want more crispy top, heat oven to 425°, transfer slow cooker to oven and cook for 15 min, until top browns slightly.