Rhubarb is still a fairly new ingredient for me. I haven’t really used it alone, but combined with strawberry I need no convincing. I saw a strawberry-rhubarb margarita on a menu and thought, “what a great combination of tart and sweet, and the color must be gorgeous.” And, of course, there’s tequila, so add a little salt and I’m sold.
By making simple syrup I had extra to use in agua fresca, in lemonade and a drizzle on strawberry-rhubarb cornbread pudding (which is how I used the leftover flesh after making the syrup.) The flesh would be good in stuffed French toast, too…
- 4 c chopped rhubarb (about 5 stalks, peeled)
- 1/2 c pure cane sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp grade B maple syrup
- 2 c sliced strawberries
What you do:
- In med saucepan combine first 5 ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Add strawberries.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain syrup.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week.