If you made the chilled strawberry basil gazpacho, you know how awesome these two flavors are together. Maybe you’re not a chilled soup kinda person. You’ll love this pizza. Brookford Farm has flavored fromage frais, which is a creamy soft cheese made with whole or skimmed milk and cream. I used their basil version, but am dying to try their stracciatella version. If you know gelato, stracciatella is vanilla with hardened strands of chocolate. The fromage frais has carob in it. But for now I can’t wait for more strawberry and basil pairings. (After 5 p.m. may come the strawberry basil margarita…)
Substitute goat cheese for the fromage frais.
- 1 c Devo Olive Oil Fig Balsamic
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 12 basil leaves, julienned, divided
- Sugar, if desired to sweeten the balsamic syrup
- 1 c spinach leaves, rinsed and julienned
- 4 oz fromage frais cheese from Brookford farm (or goat cheese)
- 1/2 c yogurt
- Your favorite pizza crust
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 c sliced almonds (or chopped hazelnuts, pistachios, etc)
What you do:
- In saucepan cook balsamic on low heat until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- Add strawberries and half the basil.
- Toss and let sit for about 5 min.
- Refrigerate to cool.
- Heat oven as directed by your pizza crust recipe.
- Roll out pizza crust and brush with EVOO.
- Strain strawberry mixture. (reserve liquid to on top of ice cream!)
- Spread strawberry mixture evenly on crust.
- Top with spinach.
- Blend cheese, yogurt and remaining basil.
- Dollop cheese mixture on top of spinach.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 15-20 min, until crust is golden.