Summer tomatoes are so meaty they can almost take the place of steak. (I said almost…) I picked up a couple of beefsteak from the farmers market last week. They were so beautiful they needed to stand on their own, not be mixed with a bunch of greens.
I had some basil and garlic fromage frais from Brookford Farms and some A-1 guacamole, both from the market too.
Tomato stacks can be made with other produce, too. Try grilled eggplant or zucchini. This is a good recipe to use up leftover grilled corn. If you don’t have grilled corn handy just use an indoor grill pan and toss in about 1/2 c frozen kernels with some EVOO.
Great as an app, side dish or salad.
What you need:
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Devo Olive Oil Tuscan Herb EVOO (or other extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 1/2”-thick slices
- 1 corn, grilled and kernels removed
- 4 tbs basil and garlic fromage frais (or basil goat cheese)
- 4 tbs guacamole
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Preheat indoor grill pan to high heat.
- Brush tomato slices with EVOO and sprinkle with salt.
- Add garlic and tomato slices to grill pan.
- Grill tomato on one side for a few min; you just want to heat and soften the tomato. Be careful of burning and falling apart.
- Remove from heat.
- On individual serving plates alternate layers of tomato, cheese and avocado on 4 plates, ending with avocado.
- Drizzle corn on each.
- Season with salt and pepper.