As I’m planning out some bites for Bastille Day I realized I never posted this recipe from May. I made about 200 of these for a local tasting event and they were devoured.
One of our local farms, Brookford Farm, has a wonderful wheatberry-based pastry flour that results in a crumbly-textured crust, reminiscent of shortbread. Using mini-muffin pans and liners, I used a shape cutter to make 36 flat rounds of dough as the base. No shape cutter? Just press about a large marble-sized ball of dough into mini-muffin well. Adding rosemary to the crust adds a nice, savory flavor.
The same farm has a great Camembert cheese. Camembert is a soft-ripened cow’s milk cheese. Dating back to the 18th century in the Normandy region of France, this New Hampshire version rivals any Camembert I’ve eaten in France.
The jam lady at the farmers market happens to make a strawberry-rhubarb jam, which makes this recipe a piece of cake.
pastry crust adapted from epicurious.com
What you need:
- 6 and 3 tbs unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 c and 1 1/2 tablespoons pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 tbs ice water
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary, if desired
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam
- Camembert cheese
- local honey
What you do:
- Place flour and salt in food processor and process until mixed.
- Add 6 tbs butter cubes to the flour and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add remaining butter and pulse until mixture resembles the size of peas.
- Add a sm amt of ice water and pulse; continue until mixture holds together, adding sm amts of water as needed.
- Form into two balls.
- Place each in plastic wrap and knead until mixture holds together.
- Wrap and flatten into disc.
- Refrigerate at least 30 min.
- Roll on floured surface to desired thickness.
- Heat oven to 400˚.
- Prepare mini muffin pan.
- Cut with shape cutter or press marble-sized ball of dough into pan.
- Top center with a sm dollop of jam.
- Top with sliver of Camembert cheese.
- Bake for 8 min.
- Cool slightly and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with honey.