Summer seemed to turn to autumn overnight. Rain finally broke the humidity but it brought an unexpected chill. A creamy soup took care of the temperature and the soul.
I wanted creamy for the soul. A sweet potato gave the base some substance and cream gave it, well, creaminess. I usually saute in EVOO, but tonight I wanted butter.
Creamy Kale and Portobello Soup
- 1 lg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 6 tbs butter, divided
- 1 Vidalia or white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8-10 oz Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 4 c vegetable stock
- 3 c kale, roughly chopped
- 1 c cream
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
What you do:
- Cook sweet potato and mash with 2 tbs butter.
- Set aside.
- In lg saucepan melt remaining butter.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté over med-low heat for 3-4 min, until onion begin to soften.
- Add mushroom and sauté for 5 min, until onion begins to caramelize.
- Reserve about 1/2 c chopped vegetable for garnish.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 min.
- Add kale and cook for about 5 min.
- Using immersion blender, puree mushroom mixture.
- In mixing bowl combine sweet potato, cream, flour, paprika and nutmeg.
- Add sweet potato mixture to stock.
- Using immersion blender, puree to combine.
- Simmer for 15 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with reserved mushroom/onion and grated cheese.