and gave it a shot. I’ve tried similar recipes before but I think the trick is to bake the rounds on a baking rack. The airflow allows the heat to circulate evenly and gives the squash a nice crisp.
Served with a ranch, thousand island or blue cheese dressing, these would also be a good appetizer.
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 1/2 c dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 2 summer squash
- Cooking spray
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray wire rack with cooking spray.
- Place rack on cookie sheet.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese and cilantro in med bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In sm bowl add buttermilk.
- Dip squash in buttermilk, covering completely, then place in breadcrumb mixture.
- Press breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Place on wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining squash slices.
- Bake for 30 min or until browned and crisp.
- Serve immediately.