Can #40: Slow Cook Autumn Pumpkin Lasagna (Pumpkin pasta recipe below)
With pre-pureed roasted sugar pumpkin, leftover roasted autumn vegetables, this slow-cooked dinner was pretty easy, and flavorful. No one knew that the pasta was made with pumpkin. Win-win. Don’t worry if you haven’t made the roasted vegetables, the lasagna will taste great without them. Think about substituting spinach for the kale.
- 1 batch pumpkin lasagna noodles (see below)
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tbs EVOO
- 1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 c fresh tomato sauce
- 1 c autumn roasted vegetables
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 15 oz ricotta (about 1 3/4 c)
- 1/2 c mascarpone
- 1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Make béchamel sauce: in a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, until blended.
- Add paprika.
Slowly add milk and pumpkin, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk until sauce is thick and smooth, about 5 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In sauté pan, heat about 2-3 tbs EVOO.
- Add kale and garlic.
- Saute, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 min.
- Remove from heat.
- In med bowl mix mozzarella, ricotta and mascarpone.
- Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce and béchamel on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with single layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (about 3), cutting them as needed to fit.
- Top with about 1/2 c sauce, 1/2 c béchamel and 1/4 of vegetables and kale.
- Dot with 1/4 of ricotta mixture.
- Repeat layering 3 more times, ending with
- Top with the remaining noodles, béchamel and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Cover and cook on low until noodles are tender and cooked through, about 4 hours.
- Let the lasagna sit for 15 min before serving.
Can #41: Pumpkin Lasagna Noodles
Hiding this nutrient-rich fruit in pasta noodles is a tricky way to fool your family, but turning these noodles into a creamy, cheesy lasagna treat makes up for it.
What you need:
- 1/3 c pureed fresh roasted sugar pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs semolina flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 tsp saffron sea salt (or plain sea salt)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
What you do:
- In sm bowl, whisk together pumpkin and 1 egg.
- Set aside.
- Place 2 c flour, semolina, salt and nutmeg in food processor.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add pumpkin-egg mixture and pulse to incorporate.
- Add remaining egg and pulse until mixture forms small crumbs.
- Test a sm handful of dough – can you mold into smooth ball? If it seems dry, add a few drops of water and pulse briefly. If it seems sticky, add additional flour, 1 tbs at a time, and pulse briefly.
- Turn mixture onto surface covered lightly with semolina.
- With your hands, work the dough into a rough ball.
- Knead the dough with the palms of your hands.
- Knead until the dough is smooth, about 5 min.
- Form into ball and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- Let dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.
- If using pasta roller, follow instructions. If making by hand:
- Roll dough as thin as you can, no thicker than 1/16 inch.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each sheet into rectangles about 4 inches by 5 inches.
- Cover lasagna sheets with clean dish towel until ready to use.