Can #35: Harvest Cleanse Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
Lactose free. Gluten free. Not completely taste free.
This would taste amazing with a mirepoix base, tomatoes, chili powder, cheese and some sour cream. And a dollop of sour cream or crema. I’m on a three-week cleanse and can’t have any of those.
This was good without all the things I can’t have. I still missed the hint of onion and chili. Coconut milk added creaminess and a hint of sweetness. I was tempted to toss in some dark chocolate, like I would in a mole sauce, but I can’t have that either. Fresh herbs and garlic coupled with flavored EVOO and balsamic, added extra depth to flavor.
Harvest Cleanse Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
- 2 c pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs olive oil (I used Devo Olive Oil Wild Mushroom and Sage EVOO)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs fresh herbs (I used a combo of rosemary, sage and thyme)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs flax seed
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 c coconut milk
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar (I used Devo Olive Oil’s Cinnamon Pear)
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 c roasted pepitas
What you do:
- Add pumpkin, beans, oil, garlic, cilantro, cumin and flax seed in food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Add broth and coconut milk and pulse until well mixed.
- Transfer to saucepan.
- Add balsamic and simmer over low heat, about 20 min or until heated through.
- Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with EVOO and top with pepitas.