Traditionally the recipe calls for waxy potatoes, which tend to keep their shape. Examples are Yukon, russet, etc. I decided to try this dish using sweet potatoes. Select sweet potatoes that have a similar, cylindrical shape. Peel and cut into thin slices. A mandolin works best, but patience and a sharp knife works fine.
I used a spring-form cake pan, hoping that the removable pan bottom would be helpful when flipping the finished “potato cake.” Wise idea.
Sweet Potatoes Anna
What you need:
- 4 med sweet potatoes, peeled
- 10 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbs fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tbs fresh chopped sage
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Heat oven to 425°
- Slice potatoes thinly, using mandoline or sharp knife.
- Place potatoes in lg bowl.
- Pour melted butter over potatoes.
- Add rosemary, sage, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Toss to coat.
- Prepare spring-form pan with spray.
- Layer potatoes, slightly overlapping, in circle starting from the outside edge.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 min.
- Remove foil and continue baking until potatoes are soft and top begins to caramelize, about 20-25 min.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 min.
- Remove sides of spring-form pan.
- Using sharp knife carefully loosen bottom of pan from potatoes.
- Top with larger plate and invert; repeat inversion onto serving platter.
- Cut into wedges.