[omit bacon for vegan version]
I’ve never had Delicata squash and wanted to start slowly. Normally I’d roast 3-4 trays of vegetables to have on hand. I saw a recipe in a Williams Sonoma catalog for a gingerbread panzanella that used squash and a pear-based butter.
I started with one squash and a small bunch of carrots, both fresh from the farmers market. I have a bunch of flavored balsamics in the pantry, but regular balsamic works just fine for the dressing. I also happened to have gingerbread butter I bought from Williams Sonoma last year but would have used pumpkin or apple butter from the farmers market. Or even replace with a jam to give the dressing a hint of sweetness and flavor.
This turned out to be a Thanksgiving take on panzanella, an Italian salad incorporating homemade croutons. I had a few mini-loaves — those cute little individual breads — in the refrigerator and used those. I cut the cornbread into 1/2″ cubes, tossed with EVOO and toasted in 450˚ oven for about 10 min, or until it becomes crispy.
If you have leftover roasted vegetables, this is a great way to bring them into a salad. I used arugula, also fresh from the farmers market, but any dark green leaf would be good (spinach, kale, etc).
Roasted Carrot, Delicata Squash and Arugula Cornbread Salad
- 1 Delicata squash
- 1/3 c plus 4 tbs EVOO, divided
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 sm carrots, peeled
- 2 c arugula
- 4 slices thick bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
- 2 c cubed cornbread croutons
- 2 tbs gingerbread, apple or pumpkin butter
- 1 tbs Devo Olive Oil Cinnamon and Pear Balsamic (or other balsamic vinegar)
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Heat oven to 350˚.
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Brush cut sides with 2 tbs EVOO.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Place squash cut side down on baking sheet, leaving room for carrots.
- In bowl, toss carrots with 2 tbs EVOO and transfer to baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 40 min, until caramelized and able to pierce with fork.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Cut squash into 1/2″ chunks and remove peel
- Cut carrots into 1/2″ chunks.
- Add arugula to serving bowl.
- Add bacon, vegetables and croutons.
- In sm bowl, whisk remaining EVOO, balsamic and gingerbread butter.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Drizzle over salad and serve.