I cannot wait to dive into leftovers from last night’s dinner. We celebrated Christmas-Birthday-New Year’s with my older kids – it’s been a nightmare to get them — all two of them and one girlfriend — gathered in one place. The tenderloin was a nightmare too – it took a lot longer to cook than what I anticipated. After much debate, we decided it took longer in the roasting pan I was using (or I need to get a thermometer for my oven. Or a new oven.)
I enjoy beef rare, preferably with almost-a-pulse, but not everyone else. We were able to eat the beef in shifts between opening up gifts, telling stories, and laughing ridiculously.
I served this with old-school roasted potatoes (have you ever made the onion-soup-mix-roasted potatoes?), speck-wrapped green beans and a quick attempt at Yorkshire pudding. I’ve always been curious about whether or not it’s really a pudding. It’s like an eggy-popover.
What you need:
- 1 stk butter (8 tbs)
- 8 oz sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tbs chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 oz bag croutons, coarsely crushed (about 3 c)
- 2 c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Herb rub (see below)
- 4 tbs EVOO
- 1 5 lb whole beef tenderloin roast, double-butterflied*
- 12 thin slices of speck (smoked prosciutto)
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Freshly ground sea salt and pepper
What you do:
Filling (can be made ahead):
- Melt butter in lg sautépan over med-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions.
- Cook until tender, about 10 min.
- Add fresh herbs and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 1 min and transfer to bowl.
- Add croutons and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Lay meat flat on prep surface.
- Cover with layer of overlapping speck slices.
- Top with onion mixture leaving about a 1” border.
- Starting from long side, roll meat in jelly roll-style.
- Tie, about every 2” with butcher’s twine.
- Let it rest at room temperature for about an hour.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Combine rub ingredients in sm bowl.
- Place lg roasting pan over two burners.
- Add about 2 tbs EVOO to pan over med-high heat.
- Rub remaining EVOO over roast.
- Sprinkle herb rub over roast and press to adhere. (Add any additional herb mixture to pan around roast, if you haven’t eaten it all.)
- Place roast in pan and sear for about 4-5 min on each side.
- Transfer to oven and roast for 25-30 min, or until thermometer inserted in the center of beef registers 110°F to 115°F for rare, 120°F to 125°F for medium-rare or 130°F to 135°F for medium.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to lg plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Let rest for 15 to 20 min before slicing.
- To serve beef, remove twine and cut into 1” slices.
* To double-butterfly the fillet, trim fat and any silver skin. Place it on a cutting board with a short end toward you. Keeping your knife parallel to the board, make a cut along one long side of the roast, about two thirds of the way down from the top of the fillet, cutting to about 1 inch from the other side. (Do not cut all the way through.)