Another loaf of The Fresh Plate’s brioche. Another idea for a breakfast: savory bread pudding, also known as strata. A wheel of Camembert, pears and bacon — and lots of eggs — gave the inspiration for this recipe. All ingredients, with the exception of spices, came from the farmers market.
Prepare the strata the night before you want to serve; or in the morning if you plan to eat at dinner. The egg mixture is poured over the ingredients and the dish needs to “rest” absorb all the liquid at least two hours before baking.
Pear and Camembert Strata
- 1 lb bacon, chopped, cooked and drained
- 2 pears
- sm onion, chopped
- 1 loaf brioche, cut into 1/2″ chunks (about 8 c)
- 1 sm wheel of Camembert cheese
- 1 c spinach, chopped
- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 3 c milk (or mixture of cream and milk)
- 10 eggs
What you do:
- Heat oven to 400˚.
- Place pears and onion on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with EVOO, salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 20 min.
- Butter 3-qt baking dish.
- Place half of the bread into dish.
- Dot with Camembert.
- Add a layer of spinach, bacon, pears and onion.
- Whisk eggs and milk.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour egg mixture over strata.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350˚.
- Bake, uncovered, until puffed and golden, 35-40 min.
- Let sit 5 min before serving.