I was looking for different ways to cook cabbage for an upcoming episode of WMUR’s Cook’s Corner. My sister suggested cutting cabbage into “steaks” and rubbing them with garlic and then grilling them. OK, then what? They look like steaks, just waiting for something to top them off. Hence the stacks.
Easy way to use leftover mashed potatoes and corned beef. I usually don’t have leftover cabbage because I only cook what I need. I don’t cook my cabbage in the slow cooker with the beef; it sucks out all the flavor.
- 1 head of green cabbage, cut into 6-inch thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 cut in half, 1 finely diced
- Freshly sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 c leftover mashed potatoes
- 12 slices corned beef
- Hollandaise sauce, mustard*
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage.
- Cut cabbage into 1” slices, from top to bottom.
- Rub both sides of cabbage with garlic halves.
- Brush both sides of cabbage with EVOO.
- Sprinkle with diced garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on middle rack and roast for 30 min.
- Flip and roast another 30.
- Remove from oven.
- Top cabbage with mashed potatoes and corned beef.
- Return to oven and cook until heated through.
- Top with mustard hollandaise sauce.
*Make your favorite hollandaise sauce and add a tsp or so of spicy mustard.