Arugula, blueberries, blue cheese and bacon. Seriously good. I made this as an impromptu pizza topping after I made the jarred salad version. I covered my ears and shut my eyes tightly while hubby and his friends tasted it. I was surprised at how much they really liked it. Hubby despises cooked fruit. Except applesauce and cranberry sauce. They apparently don’t count. I wanted to try a sturdier version to serve at a community event, so focaccia it is. I used a basic focaccia recipe (from The Tuscan Sun Cookbook).
- Your favorite focaccia or pizza dough, recipe
- 3 tbs Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 c arugula or spinach, flash sautéed
- 1 c blueberries, washed and dried
- 1/4 c cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 c crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 c chopped mapled pecans
What you do:
- Heat oven as directed by your focaccia recipe and prepare dough as directed.
- Place prepared dough on rimmed baking sheet.
- Brush top of dough with vinaigrette.
- Press blueberries into dough.
- Layer with arugula, bacon, blue cheese and pecans.
- Place in center of oven and cook as dough recipe directs.
Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
What you need:
- 1/3 c EVOO
- 1/2 c blueberry vinegar (or cider vinegar steeped with crushed blueberries)
- 1/4 c blueberries
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Mix all ingredients and season with salt and pepper as desired.