appetizer, arrowhead family farm, brookford farm, buzz 'n bee apiary, debbie d's jam, goat cheese, honey, lettuce wraps, millcreek dairy, peach, peach salsa, pleasant valley farm, salem nh farmers market
Light and refreshing, this salsa is a great accompaniment for grilled chicken, steak, fish and tacos. Looking for a vegetarian option? Spoon some over rice. Gluten-free? Spread some goat cheese on a butter lettuce leaf, top with salsa and fold to form a “taco.” It’s that simple.
I made the butter lettuce taco version today for Salem NH Farmers Market. We were celebrating National Goat Cheese Month. It really is super simple to make. You don’t need a lot of goat cheese on each leaf – a little goes a long way in terms of flavor. I went through three heads of lettuce, and other samplings using goat cheese. After Millcreek Dairy ran out of goat cheese (!) I made salsa shooter cups (for gluten-free) and panini with goat cheese and spinach with the leftover salsa.
The peaches and tomatoes came from Arrowhead Family Farms, the cukes and onion from Brookford Farm, the lettuce from Pleasant Valley and Victory Aquaponics, honey from Buzz ‘n Bee Apiary and the jam from Debbie D’s.
There weren’t any herbs or jalapeno or habanero peppers available at the market today (or maybe they were sold before I got there), but the taste was so fresh that they weren’t missed. If you prefer, use cilantro or parsley instead of the basil.
Click here for the apple, arugula and goat cheese pizza.
- 4 lg firm peaches, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 med red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 c chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbs peach jam
- 2 tbs Cucina Aurora Rosemary and Oregano EVOO (sub with EVOO and add 1 tsp rosemary and oregano)
- Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Mix peaches, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeno and basil.
- In sm bowl mix honey, lemon juice, peach jam and EVOO.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add honey mixture to peach mixture.
- Stir gently to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours.
- Stir before serving.