On my wish list is Le Creuset’s tarte tatin baking dish, I held it while browsing the store and fell in love but I wanted to make mini versions and use something that everyone has in their baking collection. I tested baking the tatins in Le Creuset’s muffin pan. Super easy.
This recipe is based on a cooking class I took in France last year. These tarts get their amazing flavor from the caramelizing of the apples. Start by cooking the apples with butter and sugar on the stove top, then finish it off in the oven. The tarts should be eaten right away topped with ice cream or whipped cream. You want the cream to melt with the caramel.
- 2 1/2 c and 1 1/2 tbs pastry flour
- 1 tsp fleur de sel (French sea salt)
- 2 stks (16 tbs unsalted butter), cold and cut into cubes
- 3 to 4 tbs ice water
- 1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c sugar
- 4 apples peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/2 tsp fleur de sel (French sea salt)
What you do:
- Place flour and salt in food processor and process until mixed.
- Add 6 tbs butter cubes to the flour and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add remaining butter and pulse until mixture resembles the size of peas.
- Add a sm amt of ice water and pulse; continue until mixture holds together, adding sm amts of water as needed.
- Form into two balls.
- Place each in plastic wrap and knead until mixture holds together.
- Wrap and flatten into disc.
- Refrigerate at least 30 min.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly over butter.
- Arrange as many apples that will fit in single layer in skillet.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Cook over med-high heat until liquid turns deep golden, about 20-25 min.
- Heat oven to 425˚.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator and roll to ¼” thick.
- Use biscuit or round cookie cutter to cut circle slightly larger than muffin well.
- Spray muffin pan.
- Divide apple mixture and place in each muffin well.
- Top with pastry.
- Place baking sheet, or aluminum foil, on lowest oven rack to catch drippings.
- Bake 15-20 min, or until crust is browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool 3-5 min.
- Run a knife around the edge of the crust to loosen.
- Invert lg baking sheet lined with parchment paper on top of muffin pan.
- Flip to remove tarts from pan. (Use oven mitts – the pan is hot!)
- Serve immediately, with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.