We recently hosted the Salem NH Farmers Market’s Second Annual Farm to Table Dinner was a five-course meal with the finale, a dessert titled “butternut squash French toast.” I wasn’t sure how the chef of the Atkinson Resort and Country Club was planning on making this dish, but it gave me inspiration to try something.
I used a flour-based batter and added pureed butternut squash to it. It gave the toast a nice, crispy coating. I made a sweet version, with whipped mascarpone cream and maple syrup, and maple pecans. I think it would work well too in a savory version with sage and bacon. Oh my. I need to try it.
This turned out different than what the chef had planned, but it was fantastic. I used pumpkin bread from The Fresh Plate. I like the fact that bread from this vendor is not sliced; it gives me more control on how I want to slice the bread.
What you need:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, cubed and roasted.
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 c apple cider
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c seltzer water
- Fleur de sel (French sea salt)
- 8-12 slices of The Fresh Plate’s pumpkin bread (depends on how thick you cut bread.)
- Maple syrup, mascarpone whipped cream*, maple-glazed pecans for topping
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment and coat with olive oil spray.
- Place squash in lg bowl and toss with EVOO.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-25 min until caramelizing begins.
- Turn and cook another 10-15 min.
- Remove from oven and transfer to blender.
- Add milk, apple cider and eggs and puree.
- Sift flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg in lg bowl.
- Whisk in butternut squash mixture.
- Slowly mix in seltzer.
- Pour into baking dish or bowl large enough to lay bread flat.
- Heat 2 tbs butter in sauté pan over med heat.
- Dip bread slice into batter and fry until golden brown, about 2 min per side.
- Repeat with remaining slices
- Place on serving dish.
- Layer French toast with dollop of mascarpone whipped cream and pecans.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
*Mascarpone Whipped Cream
What you need:
- 1 c whipping cream,
- 1 c mascarpone
- 1/2 c pure cane sugar
What you do:
- Whip ingredients in mixer bowl.