I usually roast a few bunches of carrots to use in many dishes throughout the week. Leftovers of soup can be used to make roasted carrot tart, roasted carrot farro risotto and carrot vinaigrette.
Hubby suggested making this into a Bloody Mary, which of course I readily obliged. Equal parts of soup and V8 with good vodka, peppered rim and voila.
- 8 lg carrots
- 4 tbs maple syrup
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 c cream
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 4 tbs chopped maple glazed pecans and crème fraiche, for topping if desired.
What you do:
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Peel and trim carrots.
- Whisk oil and maple syrup in lg bowl.
- Add carrots, tossing to coat.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast 40 min, turning halfway, until carrots have caramelized.
- In med saucepan melt butter and cook onion and rosemary over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
- Chop carrots and add to onion mixture.
- Add cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth and simmer mixture, until heated, about 10-15 min.
- Using an immersion blender, or transfer to processor, purée soup until smooth.
- Add cream.
- Pour into individual serving bowls and drizzle with crème fraiche and chopped pecans.