I adore small pies. Sweet and savory. They’re cute and just the right serving size. I used a chicken maple sausage from Vernon Family Farms and a jalapeno chipotle from Miner Family Farms. Yum.
What you need:
- Your favorite pie crust recipe doubled
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbs EVOO
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 sm bunch dinosaur kale, ribs removed, chopped
- 2 lg sausage links, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- Heat oven as directed by your pie crust recipe.
- On floured surface, roll out half the dough to 1/4″ thickness.
- Using handpie mold, biscuit or lg cookie cutter, cut even number of rounds.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- In lg sautépan, melt EVOO and butter over med-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 min.
- Add kale and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until kale is wilted, about 3 min.
- Transfer to lg bowl and add crumbled sausage and cheese.
- Spoon enough mixture in heaping mound on half of the pie rounds, leaving 1/2″ border.
- Brush edges with egg and top with unfilled pie round.
- Seal (either as directed by mold, or by pressing edges with fingers firmly).
- Cut vents in top of each pie.
- Add a sm amount of water to remaining egg and brush top of each pie with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20-30 min depending on size of pie.
- Let cool slightly on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.