To add some protein, I grilled up two fresh maple chicken sausage links from Vernon Family Farms.
This is great hot or cold, and the fusilli makes it really fun to eat.
What you need:
- 4 c chopped dinosaur kale
- 3/4 c finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 c maple pecans, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, crushed 1/2 lb fusilli pasta, cooked according to directions
- 3/4 c EVOO
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
What you do:
- In lg pot boil salted water and add kale.
- Blanch for about 1 min.
- Drain, rinse and cool; squeeze out all excess water.
- Transfer to food processor.
- Add cheese, pecans and garlic
- Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- While pulsing, add oil and continue processing until pureed.
- Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta as directed, drain and reserve cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to pot and add desired amount of pesto (I used about 1/2).
- Add pasta cooking liquid slowly until you reach a smooth consistency and pasta is well coated.