I received a call from Hippo Press, a NH-based paper, for my take on homemade pizza. Pizza is amazing. And I’m not talking traditional crust with red sauce. Anything can be a pizza base and the combination of toppings is limited only to your imagination.
A few years back they learned of my pumpkin challenge and printed a piece about me. After speaking with the reporter, I promised that I’d make a pizza pumpkin, to connect the dots and to make further progress on my challenge. (I slacked off a bit last year.)
Here’s a link to the article to help inspire your pizza making. It’s fun to be included along with a “real” chef. The print version included a pic of my pizza and this recipe.
What you need:
- 1 apple (sliced into 16 wedges)
- 1 sm bunch leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced (light green and white parts)
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 10 sage leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
What you do:
- If using oven, heat to 450; or heat electric pizza stone
- Melt butter in sautépan.
- Sauté apples and leek 5 min.
- Prepare pizza dough and place on parchment paper.
- Lightly coat pizza with EVOO.
- In bowl, mix pumpkin with nutmeg and cayenne.
- Spread onto pizza dough and top with apple mixture.
- Sprinkle with bacon and top with cheese.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 min in traditional oven, 3 min on electric pizza stone