A great side dish with one of my favorite veggies: Brussels sprouts. They’re fresh at the farmers market now. The hint of maple syrup sweetens the veggies ever so slightly and the pecans give a nice crunch.
To make it a meal, add some pan-seared sausage (I used Arrowhead Farm’s Sea Salt and Sage – incredible) and sautéed kale.
What you need:
- 1 med acorn squash
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 c pecan halves
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup
- 3 tbs butter
What you do:
- Heat oven to 375˚.
- Prepare lg baking sheet (or two sm) with parchment paper.
- Cut squash in half and discard seeds.
- Cut each half in half, and then each half into quarters.
- Transfer to lg bowl.
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts.
- Add sprouts to squash.
- Toss with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Transfer onto baking sheet.
- Roast 35-40 min, until tender, turning halfway through.
- In lg skillet, dry toast pecans over low heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 6-8 min.
- Add syrup and butter, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to serving dish and gently toss with pecans.