It’s summer and time to put your fruit on the grill. Pineapple is a quick and easy way to bring your recipes up a notch. Grilled pineapple brings out a caramelized flavor that enhances any salsa, kabob or base of an ice cream dessert.
Grill an entire pineapple for this recipe and use half of the pineapple for dessert. Top grilled pineapple slices with vanilla ice cream drizzled with a coconut-rum glaze and shredded coconut for a piña colada-on-a-plate feel.
I made this for “make-your-own-taco” day at work to top the pork carnitas. It also ended up as a topping on bacon-wrapped hot dogs.
What you need:
- 1/2 pineapple, husked and cut into 1/2” slices
- 8-10 sm tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 3 jalapeños, seeded, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lg Vidalia onion, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- ¼ c chopped cilantro
What you do:
- Heat oven to 425⁰.
- Place tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and onion on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tomatillos begin to char and onions are softened, about 20 min, turning once.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat lightly-oiled indoor, or outdoor, grill pan.
- Grill pineapple slices until char marks are visible and caramelizing begins.
- Allow pineapple to cool.
- Chop tomatillo mixture and pineapples to 1/4″ pieces.
- Mix together with cilantro and season with more salt and pepper, if desired.