Hint: Make the crescent rolls and frozen yogurt a day ahead. To make it simpler, buy frozen strawberry yogurt or ice cream and add some chopped pineapple.
- 2 pkgs crescent rolls or 6 to 7 cups ½-inch-cubed day-old white bread (the weight depends on type of bread)
- ½ c semisweet chocolate chips
- Crème Anglaise (below)
- ½ c chopped walnuts
Whiskey Crème Anglaise ingredients:
- 2 c heavy cream
- 2 c almond milk
- 2 tsp Whiskey
- 1 c sugar
- ¼ tsp fleur de sel (sea salt)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas (2 ½ for mushing, ½ for topping slices)
Homemade frozen strawberry-pineapple yogurt ingredients:
- 4 c strawberry Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c chopped pineapple (if using canned, be sure to drain well)
- ½ c strawberries, thinly sliced
Whiskey Chocolate Sauce ingredients:
- 1 c good quality dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- ¼ c heavy cream
- 3 tbs sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbs whiskey
- Prepare baking sheet
- Roll out crescent rolls and dot with chocolate chips.
- Roll and bake as directed.
- Let sit overnight.
Strawberry-Pineapple Frozen Yogurt directions
- Mix yogurt, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add fresh fruit towards the end of freezing.
- Transfer to freezer-safe container.
Crème Anglaise directions:
- Prepare an ice bath, bowl and strainer.
- In a large saucepan, combine cream, milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Cook over low heat until small bubbles appear.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until combined.
- Whisk in half of the cream mixture and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into saucepan and cook over moderate heat stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the sauce into the bowl in ice bath.
- Mash 2 ½ bananas in separate bowl.
- Add ½ of crème mixture to banana and mix using immersion blender or transfer to food processor.
- Mix the banana mixture with the remaining crème.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Whiskey Chocolate Sauce directions:
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- In medium saucepan, whisk milk and sugar together.
- Bring to a steady simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk in chocolate until smooth.
- Whisk in cream and salt.
- Let mixture come to room temperature, then mix in whiskey.
Bread pudding directions:
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Remove crème Anglaise from refrig.
- Spray the bottom of a deep 9×13 baking dish.
- Chop crescent rolls into cubes.
- Place bread cubes in baking dish.
- Cover with crème Anglaise and mix well to coat evenly.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes, just until set. (make a small hole with a knife in the pudding, if liquid fills up the hole, it needs more time.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 2 hours.
- Serve warm with Whiskey Chocolate Sauce.
- Top with chopped walnuts and banana slices.