- 3/4 c unsalted butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2 firm bananas, sliced
- 4 tbsp bourbon (or rum)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Use your favorite vanilla cupcake batter recipe. In a pinch? Use your favorite box cake mix…I used Pillsbury’s French Vanilla.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ c mascarpone, softened
- ¼ c homemade caramel sauce (or store bought…if you must)
- 1 tsp bourbon (or rum)
- 3 c confectioners’ sugar
For the bananas:
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook until butter melts and sugar is dissolved.
- Add banana slices and cook until caramelizing begins.
- In small bowl mix bourbon (or rum)and vanilla.
- Remove from burner and add the rum mixture to pan.
- Using torch lighter, place flame at inside edge of pan, igniting alcohol.
- Gently swirl pan in circles to coat bananas. Flame will extinguish quickly.
- Using a whisk, mash the bananas with the sauce.
For the cupcakes:
- Follow directions for your favorite cupcake batter or boxed mix.
- Add mushed bananas to batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake as directed.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and mascarpone until fluffy
- Add the caramel sauce and mix well.
- Slowly add confectioners’ sugar
To serve: drizzle with dusting of cinnamon and additional caramel sauce, if desired.