- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 tbs butter, unsalted
- 1/3 c water
- 1¼ c heavy cream
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fleur de sel (French sea salt)
- Mix the water, butter and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir.
- Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture.
- Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from gorgeous caramel to burnt caramel very quickly.
- Turn off the heat.
- Slowly add the cream, vanilla and salt.
- Simmer over low heat; stir constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.