Based on my Caramel au Beurre Sale and inspired by Juanita’s Cocina’s Espresso Caramel Sauce. Since I’m continuing a BeachBody detox I needed to experiment with dairy-free options. Drizzle this on top of Chocolate Espresso Non-Dairy Ice Cream.
- 1 c cane sugar
- 1/3 c water
- 1/4 c Devo Olive Oil’s Espresso Balsamic
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 2 tbs Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- Combine the sugar, water and buttery spread in heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, 5-10 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Do not stir.
- Increase heat to medium and boil uncovered until sugar turns into a warm chestnut color; about 5-7 minutes.
- Gently swirl the pan to stir; watch mixture carefully – it will burn quickly.
- When it reaches a deep amber color, remove from heat.
- Stir in balsamic, almond milk and salt.
- Simmer over low heat; stir constantly, until sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes.
- If consistency is too thick, add a little more almond milk, 1 tsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Store in refrigerator.