Buy Irish soda bread at least one day in advance.
- store-bought Irish soda bread
- 2 c heavy cream
- 2 c almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fleur de sel (sea salt)
- 4 lg eggs (or egg substitute)
- 1 c sugar
- ½ c mascarpone
- ¼ c whiskey
- whipped cream, optional
- Cut in half horizontally and bake in 350° oven until toasted.
- Let sit overnight.
- Prepare an ice bath, bowl and strainer.
- In a large saucepan, combine cream, milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Cook over low heat until small bubbles appear.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, whisk sugar and eggs until combined.
- Whisk in half of the cream mixture and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into saucepan and cook over moderate heat stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the sauce into the bowl in ice bath.
- Add mascarpone to mixing bowl.
- Add ½ of cream mixture to mascarpone and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the mascarpone mixture with the remaining cream and whisk.
- Gently stir in whiskey and mix well.
Prepare bread pudding:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add half the bread cubes into buttered 9×9 baking dish.
- Pour custard over bread cubes.
- Press bread into custard to cover completely.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, pressing occasionally, to allow bread to absorb custard.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp cinnamon over top of mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 ½ hours, checking often.
- Remove foil and continue baking until pudding until it is set in the center, checking every 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm with whiskey whipped cream. (You don’t need directions, do you?)