The original recipe calls for roasted turkey, but I’ve got some baked ham in the frig that looks fabulous in a mornay sauce.
(this makes more than you need, but it’s always good to have some in the frig for an easy dinner – add to pasta)
- ½ c butter
- 1/3 c all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ c milk
- ½ c shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly-ground sea salt and pepper
- 8 thick white bread slices
- 16 slices baked ham
- 1 c shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 plum tomato, sliced into 8 slices
- 8 bacon slices, cooked
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to boil and whisk constantly, until thickened.
- Whisk in Parmesan cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Arrange bread slices in greased broiler-safe baking dish.
- Top bread with turkey slices.
- Pour mornay sauce over turkey.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and broil until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Top sandwiches with tomatoes and bacon.
- Serve immediately.