Limoncello (lemon liqueur)
1 (750-ml) 80-proof bottle vodka (qood quality)
- 7 lemons
- 3 ½ c water
- 2 ½ c sugar
- Remove peel from the lemons, being careful to avoid including the white, pithy layer.
- Place lemon peels in a 2-quart lidded container.
- Pour vodka over peels.
- Let steep for 4-10 days; the longer it steeps, the deeper the taste.
- In large saucepan combine sugar and water and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Let syrup cool; then add it to the lemon/vodka mixture.
- Strain the Limoncello through a mesh strainer and discard peels.
- Transfer to bottles.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Option: store in freezer.