adapted from Hostess with the Mostess
- 1 box sugar-free chocolate cake mix
- ½ c egg whites
- ¼ c egg substitute
- 1/3 c oil
- ¼ c Greek fat-free yogurt
- ½ c milk
- ¾ c sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c crème de menthe
- ¼ c bourbon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ c mascarpone, softened
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 1 tsp crème de menthe
- ½ c confectioners’ sugar
- ½ c stevia
- ½ c whipping cream
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves, thin mint cookie crumbs (I happened to have horseshoe-shaped chocolates from Kentucky)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl whisk egg whites, egg, oil, yogurt, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract
- Stir cake mix into wet ingredients.
- Using half of the batter, fill cupcake liners about 1/3 full.
- Add bourbon and crème de menthe to remaining cake batter
- Mix, adding flour, 1 tsp at a time, if the batter is too moist or milk if too dry.
- Add bourbon-mixture batter to on top of each filled liner to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Combine sugar and butter in mixing bowl.
- Beat until creamy.
- Gradually add mascarpone, crème de menthe and bourbon.
- Add whipping cream and beat until fluffy.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish as desired.