Pear and Pistachio Trifle
My photo was a recent winner in Zagat’s 12 Days of Foodie Cheer Photo Contest.
Cake ingredients: (can be served as a bundt cake)
Cake courtesy of Taste of Home magazine
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp bakin soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 ½ c vegetable oil
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 med pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 ¼ c chopped pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease and flour 10-ince bundt pan.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and spices.
- In large mixing bowl, beat oil, sugars on medium speed until well combined
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with mixer; add remaining and stir manually.
- Add pears and chopped pistachio nuts and mix gently.
- Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake about 75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Top as desired, or reserve for trifle.
Maple Mascarpone Whipped Cream ingredients:
- ¼ c maple syrup
- 8 oz container mascarpone cheese
- 2 c whipping cream
Maple Mascarpone Whipped Cream directions:
- In a large mixing bowl beat whipping cream, mascarpone and maple syrup on high speed until soft peaks form.
Salted Caramel Sauce Ingredients (Laptop2Tabletop)
This makes enough to store for additional uses.
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 tbs butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 ¼ c heavy cream
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fleur de sel (French sea salt)
Salted Caramel Sauce directions:
- Mix the water, butter and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir.
- Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture.
- Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from gorgeous caramel to burnt caramel very quickly.
- Turn off the heat.
- Slowly add the cream, vanilla and salt.
- Simmer over low heat; stir constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.
- Prepare serving dishes (mini shooters, mini martini glasses, etc.)
- Tear cake into small chunks.
- Layer dishes with cake and whipped cream; repeat.
- Top with drizzle of salted caramel sauce and pistachios.