Recipe SLIGHTLY adapted from Molto Italiano
- ¼ c EVOO
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced into ¼” pieces
- ½ butternut squash cut into 1” chunks
- 1 ½ c Arborio rice
- ½ c dry white wine
- 8 c chicken stock, heated until hot
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- ½ c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a 10- to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
- Add the onion and squash and cook until the onion is softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine, then add a 4- to 6-ounce ladleful of the stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding the stock a ladleful a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed each time before adding more, until the rice is tender and creamy yet still a little al dente, about 18 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter and Parmigiano, and stir vigorously until well mixed, about 25 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the risotto among four warmed plates, and serve with additional Parmigiano.