*Prepare potatoes and cauliflower beforehand for extra ease.
*Use parchment paper squares to line cupcake tins.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90 percent lean or higher; I used 93%)
- 8 oz finely chopped Portobello mushrooms (I used grilled Portobello mushroom patties)
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed*
- 1 small head cauliflower, cooked and mashed*
- 1 c frozen peas, thawed
- Butter and milk, as needed for mashed topping
- Cook meat in large sauté pan over medium heat until browned.
- Transfer to plate.
- Drain fat from pan.
- Heat the oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook, covered, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme and flour.
- Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and their liquid has evaporated.
- Return the meat to the pan. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, scraping up browned bits.
- Use ice cream scooper to fill 2 prepared 12-cupcake tins with meat mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees°.
- Microwave peas as directed.
- Place peas, cauliflower and potato into process and pulse until well mixed.
- Add butter and milk as needed to reach a smooth consistency.
- Place potato mixture in pastry bag and top each “cupcake.”
- Bake until heated, about 20 min.