So-Easy Coq au Vin
(Sorry, Julia; though I’m sure it’s not as good as yours …)
From BHG’s Skinny Slow Cooker
- 1 8 oz pkg mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 4 med carrots, cut into ¼” slices
- 1 12 c frozen pearl onions
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 large chicken thighs, skins removed
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 c dry red wine
- ½ c reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used vegetable)
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp herbes de Provence
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs snipped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 c hot, cooked whole-grain wide noodles
- In 4- to 5- quart slow cooker combine mushrooms, carrots and onions.
- Set aside.
- Lightly coat large nonstick skillet with spray.
- Heat over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet, meaty side down.
- Cook about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Add chicken to cooker.
- Add wine to skillet and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits from bottom and sides of skillet.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in broth, tapioca, vinegar, herbes de Provence, garlic and remainng salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 5 ½ hours or on high-heat setting for 2 ½ to 2 ¾ hours.
- Sprinkle with parsley; serve with noodles.
Fat: 5g (1 g sat. fat)
Cholesterol: 80 mg
Sodium: 365 mg
Carb: 40 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 26 g