Adapted from Vegetarian: the best-ever recipe collection
- 1 lb. carrots, trimmed and julienned
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ½ c. violet balsamic vinegar (the balsamic is strong, next time I’ll use 1/4 c)
- 4 tbs. vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs. finely chopped thyme
- freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add the carrots and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and begins to caramelize.
- Add balsamic and stock.
- Bring to boil and stir in the mustard, mixing well.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add thyme.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Remove lid and continue cooking until the liquid has thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with sprigs of thyme, if desired.