Courtesy of Foodnetwork.com, slightly altered
- 1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 4 tbs applesauce
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbs butter, melted
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Fresh whipped cream, for topping
- Crushed candy for topping (recommended: M and M’s, Reese’s pieces, Snickers, Heath bars, mini chocolates, etc)
- Special Equipment: 10 (5-inch) removable bottom tart pans (I used 2 1/2” mini-pumpkin shaped pans)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the cake mix, egg and butter and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Divide the mixture into 10-equally sized balls.
- Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand and gently press into the bottom of each tart pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla and butter.
- Add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well.
- Spoon a scant 1/2-cup of the pumpkin mixture over cake batter in the tart pans.
- Top with crushed candy and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.
- Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and additional candy topping, if desired.